Monday, September 8, 2008

Turtles

I stepped out of my apartment this weekend and found this on the sidewalk:

It was so tiny I had to take a picture of it. So I ran back in for my camera. Here's one with my thumb so you can really see how tiny it is:
There was also a huge stick insect, so I took a picture of that too:

It was an animal-filled weekend. Well, ok, an animal-and-insect-filled five minutes. The next day when I was walking on the same path, I found the turtle again (or possibly one of its siblings) on the sidewalk again, except this time it had managed to turn itself over on its back and was just sitting there, legs waving uselessly. And because, as Terry Pratchett pointed out in Small Gods, an overturned tortoise is one of the most pathetic things in the universe (I'm at the office and thus cannot look up the exact quote), I turned him back over and put him near the woods in the hop ethat he might be luckier in the future. I think if I have to save him again, I'm going to have to keep him.

3 comments:

Anna said...

The only thing I can say is "Awwwww!" I love turtles. And I should own that book.
I love stick insects, too, though I'm not sure I would classify them as "cute."

olivia said...

i love turtles so so so much. they're one of the few animals whose name i know in russian: cheripashki. (cherry-POSH-key)

i LOVE them

JessicaLonsdale said...

The tiny turtles are wonderful!!!

The stick insect, not so much.