Friday, March 20, 2009

Long time no write :(

Apparently I suck at keeping up with a blog. Maybe I haven't been doing enough cooking lately, or actually, it's more likely that it's hard to write when going through major-life-upheaval-type-of-things.

So I applied to grad school. I got an interview at Emory, which was terrifying and exciting, and proceeded to make the trip over. The process was also terrifying and exciting, and I spent a few weeks on pins and needles waiting to hear from Emory and other schools. I did not get into Emory (spare the sympathy, it's really ok) and I did get into Ole Miss and I haven't heard from anywhere else yet. And I just turned down Ole Miss today. Um. Eek.

So I freaked out for the month of February, and then began to get a clue when I got more freaked out over getting accepted to Ole Miss then getting rejected from Emory. The more I think about the economy, and the job market for academics, and the prospect of spending another five years in Oxford running up student loans working towards a job that may or may not exist once I finish...well. I guess it's one of those things where if you can imagine another future for yourself, you probably shouldn't be doing this in the first place. Funny how I wind up in these situations. My current dilemma reminds me a lot of my "I-don't-want-to-do-theater-anymore" junior year of college.

So what's the new plan? Well, I'm looking for a job in Austin. Because I want to live in Austin. That's really about all I've got right now. I kinda feel like it's time for something and somewhere new. And I really love Austin. So hopefully this job thing will work out- I'm busy searching job sites and applying, so keep your fingers crossed for me.

Also, hey, it's finally spring! Thank God.

And on the baking front, I made banana bread for the first time last weekend and it was ok but totally fell apart when I tried to get it out of the pan. Whoops. I don't really like banana bread that much (I just happened to have some overripe bananas, so what else was I gonna do?), so I might not make it again. We'll see.

That's about all I've got for now. I'll try to post more often in the future :)

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Yay! I left your blog on my feed for months--I had faith that you'd be back! Will you post the recipe for the roasted red pepper dip from that Deborah Madison book that you made for the movie night? And I'll let you know if I think of anything you can do with overripe bananas that's not banana bread--I swear I've seen some recipes! What about a banana cake with caramel icing, a Bon Appetit recipe from awhile back?

Ellie said...

Well, the problem is that I don't really like bananas. I pretty much make myself eat them (I don't hate them, I just don't love them either) because they're good for me, and they're very easy to just grab one in the morning and take to work with me. But I do like BB with chocolate chips in, which is what I tried to make, so maybe next time I will do the flouring thing and the half-the-chips-on-top-of-the-batter thing, and it will work better.