Been kinda busy lately, though I can't for the life of me figure out why. So this is just to say a few things before regularly scheduling blogging continues.
First: Barack Obama is our new president. I do not have words to describe how happy this makes me. As someone who cares very deeply about politics, culture, and race in America, this feels like a new day. As a friend of mine used to say, we're not what we ought to be, but we're not what we were either. This is a huge step in the right direction, and I can't remember the last time I felt like that.
Second: Foodways was awesome. I promise to post on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday of that event later, including random pictures (I didn't have time to take many!)
Third: The Drive-By Truckers and the Hold Steady were awesome. I ran up to Nashville last weekend to see them play at the Ryman. As a bonus, I also got to see Bobby Bare Jr. open for them. The show was fantastic, but it was slightly weird to see them at the Ryman. As cool as that is, given the history of that building, the Ryman is largely a sit-down venue, and neither of them are sit-down bands. I also had an excellent time catching up with one of my college roommates and with my best friend Jenn. And I went to the Whole Foods, and I bought some new boots. Very excited about the new boots.
Fourth: I officially started applying to PhD programs yesterday. Eek. I am hoping to get all the internet stuff done by this weekend (I suppose I should do some actual work while at work), and then start working on personal statements and revising my writing sample, etc etc etc.
Fifth: I also have a paper to write by the beginning of Thanksgiving break (well, 7-8 pages of a paper, and the rest later). I don't know why, but I feel like I just haven't done nearly the amount of work I'd like to for my class. I managed two fairly well last spring (until the final month), but this semester I feel like I can barely focus on one, even though I'm really enjoying it. So I need to do some major research over the next two weeks. So maybe it will be a while before I get around to blogging again.
So life will be pretty hectic for the next month or so, and then hopefully will calm down in December. I always miss the high school schedule (not high school itself, just the schedule) around this time of year. Back then, we still had a good two or three weeks worth of class after Thanksgiving. Now I have to get everything done in Novemeber. I keep thinking I should have more time- especially since, as an employee, I don't actually get off work until Dec. 21- but I don't.
Good luck to everyone else who is dealing with the same thing!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment